In golf, distance is a vital aspect that you always have to take into consideration if you want to win. Professional and more experienced golfers can determine distance using physical markers such as trees and bushes, but for the rest of us a rangefinder will make sure we get the most accurate data. They speed up your play, enhance data gathering and boost your confidence.
There are lots of golf rangefinders on the market, and that’s why you have to consider some essential factors before purchasing one that will best fit your needs.
Factors to consider before buying a golf rangefinder
One of the most important factors to consider before buying a golf rangefinder is the maximum distance range that can be measured with the device. Most models can measure over 400 yards, but there are some that can measure even an extended distance range.
The size and weight of a golf rangefinder are also crucial because you will be walking around with the device for a few hours. If it’s a heavy one, it will be really tiring, so this means that the ideal machine should be small, lightweight and compact.
Ease of use is essential, especially for beginners. A professional or a more experienced golfer won’t have troubles using any rangefinders, but newbies need a device that’s effortless to use, to avoid having a hard time trying to figure out its features.
Approval by USGA is a really important thing you should take into consideration before buying a golf rangefinder because this will ensure that you’ll be able to use it for hours. USGA approved devices are top quality, and they also come with impressive customer ratings.
The slope mode is another essential element that is worthwhile considering. A rangefinder that comes with a slope mode will be able to provide distances that are more accurate. Such a device will come in handy, especially when you will be trying to improve your game.
There are two types of golf rangefinders: laser rangefinder and GPS rangefinder and this is also important to consider before buying the best device for your needs. Both types will help you determine distances accurately.
Making sure that your purchase is manufactured by an authentic brand is crucial because unauthentic ones offer low-quality products. It’s best to buy a golf rangefinder that is produced by a reputable company such as Nikon.
The Best Golf Rangefinders of 2018
Nikon Coolshot 20
Compact and lightweight
The Nikon Coolshot 20 is one of the most compact and lightweight devices on the market, and you will be able to use it effortlessly for hours. With just a single push of a button, the rangefinder will provide the exact distance to selected targets.
Clear vision and high precision accuracy
The maximum distance range that you will be able to measure with this device is around 550 yards. The eight-second constant measurement will also tolerate slight hand movement while offering precise data.
High-quality 6x monocular
The Nikon Coolshot 20 comes with a high-quality 6x monocular with multilayer coating for providing clear images.
This golf rangefinder comes with a long eye relief design that will provide easy viewing for eyeglass wearers. The device also comes with a diopter adjustment function.
First Target Priority
The First Target Priority feature for measuring the distance to the closest subject will come in really handy for improving your game.
- It comes with a rainproof feature.
- Wide temperature tolerance is from -10 degrees Celsius to +50 degrees Celsius.
- The device provides increased accuracy.
- Easy to use due to its compact and lightweight design and simple features.
- The Nikon Coolshot 20 will need a steady hand to provide the most accurate distance-related data, so make sure that your hand will not shake while using it.
Suaoki Golf Range Finder Laser
Long distance range
The Suaoki device provides a maximum distance range of 656 yards, and it will offer accurate measurements without having to get closer to objects.
The device comes with 6x magnification to make sure you will always get the correct data and to avoid miscalculations.
It comes with distance correction, flagpole lock, fog, horizontal distance, height and speeds modes that will allow personalizing the rangefinder according to your needs.
This laser rangefinder weighs only a third of a pound, and it comes with a belt-mountable bag for increased portability.
- The seven different measurement modes provide high adaptability for any user.
- It provides accurate measurements.
- The device comes with a rainproof feature.
- It is one of the most compact rangefinders.
- It has some problems in misty conditions or low light, but this is due to the size of the laser; otherwise, it’s fully functional.
TONOR 650 Yards Golf Range Finder
Appropriate for more outdoor activities
The TONOR Finder comes with a unique golf mode for measuring distance, but it’s also perfect for fishing, hunting, and more outdoor activities.
The laser technology ensures fast and accurate measurements.
Two measurement units
It comes with a fast switching unit of measurement. You can choose between meters and yards, according to your preferences.
Portable and lightweight
The rangefinder is compact and lightweight, and it comes with a vertical one-handed operation.
- The TONOR Finder is water resistant and also shockproof.
- It comes with a very durable and sturdy body.
- The LCD provides high-quality images.
- It provides accurate distance data.
- It is not recommended to use this device on foggy days or other adverse weather conditions, but, on sunny days, it works flawlessly.
TecTecTec VPRO500 Golf Rangefinder
The premium product comes with a pinsensor technology, and it can measure up to 540 yards with continuous scan mode. It provides fast measurement with +/- 1-yard accuracy.
Through the lens display
It comes with a clear and multilayered optics with easy reads and a display that provides clear images.
Lightweight and portable
The rangefinder comes with a durable and compact body so you’ll be able to carry it around for hours effortlessly.
Diopter adjustment functionality
The TecTecTec uses the latest technology, and it comes with a diopter adjustment technology that offers a clear view.
- It comes with three scanning modes suitable for more situations.
- The pinsensor lets you accurately measure the distance to pin locations.
- You can accurately measure overlapping targets.
- It comes with a measurement locking function for increased confidence.
- The device provides accurate measurements.
- Unless you have a tripod, it’s quite tricky to use because if your hand shakes even a bit, it will not be able to provide the most accurate measurements.
Eyoyo 5-700 Yard Waterproof 6x Multifunction Golf Hunting RangeFinder
Five measuring modes
The Eyoyo rangefinder comes with five measuring methods including ranging, scan, fog, speed and flagpole lock.
Extended range of uses
You can use the device for traveling, sightseeing, hunting, camping, golf and more outdoor projects.
Provides a good game experience
The rangefinder uses professional technologies for helping you find accurate distances.
The multi-coated HD Optics with 6x magnification will provide yardage accurate to within a yard from a range of up to 700 yards.
- It comes with a premium carrying pouch.
- It has a built-in battery and a standby time of up to 2 months.
- The rangefinder is portable and reliable.
- It’s designed to be poor weather and impact-resistant.
- You can adjust the eyepiece to focus your own eye.
- The device is perfect for the golf course, but if you want to use it for hunting with an air rifle for example, it might not be powerful enough.
Bushnell Golf 2017 Tour V4 Performance Laser Rangefinder Pinseeker
Pin seeker with jolt technology
This technology provides the users short vibrating bursts to reinforce the laser.
The device comes with a maximum distance range of about 1000 yards.
The Bushnell Golf 2017 Tour V4 Performance Laser Rangefinder has 5x magnification feature and a fast focus system that provides clear images of your shots.
This rangefinder also comes with a slope mode, and it can reach the flag until 400 yards.
- It is really lightweight, and it comes with a pocket format, so it’s effortless to carry.
- It can improve the golf game significantly.
- The Bushnell Golf 2017 Tour V4 Performance Laser Rangefinder is very easy to use.
- It provides accurate measurements.
- It comes with a very detailed manual of instructions.
- You should avoid using it in adverse weather conditions, but other than that it works flawlessly.
Bushnell Tour V4 Shift Golf Laser Rangefinder
Slope Switch technology
It comes with a slope-switch technique for enhancing the gameplay.
The rangefinder uses pinseeker with JOLT technology as well.
The device comes with a 5x magnification and a fast focus for providing accurate data and images.
Large distance range
It comes with a maximum distance range of up to 1,000 yards.
- It is small, compact and portable.
- The device provides accurate data and clear images.
- It comes with a 3-Volt Lithium (CR-2) battery.
- The JOLT technology provides you with short vibrating bursts to let you know when it has locked onto the flag.
The slope reading doesn’t feature maximum accuracy, but other than that is provides the most accurate readings.
My top recommendation is the Nikon Coolshot 20 due to its great set of features, ergonomic design, and high portability. It comes with an extended measurement range, and first target priority for measuring the distance to the closest subject. This feature really improves your gameplay. It’s also rainproof, and it protects your eyes as well.